Blender 2.8 - The Workflow Release
The next major version!
Other 2.8 projects:
- Assets Integration
- Dependency Graph
- Layers and Collections
- OpenGL Upgrade (2.1 -> 3.3)
Non trivial features are usually developed in their own new branches. When finished, they may be approved and merged back into the master branch.
The same happens with special versions of Blender, like the ones used (upgraded and adapted) in Blender Institute movie productions.
Python scripting is a very powerful feature in Blender, both for key functionality (the User Interface, for example) and for plugins that can greatly extend the program's capabilities.
Google Summer of Code
- GSoC 2017 Page with information about projects, developers & mentors and current status
- List of GSoC project pages by year
Blender 2.7x - Latest Production-Ready Version
Recommended for most user
- Latest release: Blender 2.7x (download)
- Code repository at developer.blender.org
- Next 2.7x release (2017)
- Focus on bug fixes and stability
- Release Cycle
- Suggested targets
Issues for (new) developers to work on are collected in wiki. It's known todo items, features or fixes that already have been approved to be worked on:
Projects that have reached step 3 of the development process.